Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the pet store, i asked the employee what my bird was eating before i got him. it was always a mix of zupreem fruit pellets and cockatiel seed mix. but he keeps picking out the seeds even when i mix the pellets with the seeds.
i’ve put the pellets on top of the seeds, i’ve put in warm water and mixed pellets with the seeds so they stick together, but he STILL picks out the seeds. i suspected that the birds at the pet store would eat all of the food in one bowl, but no. every time i come home there’s always more pellets than seeds.
i don’t want my bird to get fat. i’ve fed him tiny pellets through the cage bars and he was alright with eating that. he doesn’t trust me enough to put my hand in the cage because he keeps hissing a ton me. what do i do?

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Try giving him the pellets in a different bowl than the seeds. Most birds eat them better that way. When birds are foraging they pick out the foods they like best, and when you mix pellets and seeds together they will usually eat the seeds instead of the pellets. But when you put the pellets in a different bowl it turns into a different kind of foraging, where they can get different foods in different places.

If that doesn't work, then don't give quite so much seed so he can eat the pellets when he runs out of seed. Make sure that he gets enough food to eat every day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just tried the separate bowl method and it looks like he didn’t even think about touching his pellets.
today i tried putting in less seeds since the separate bowl method i tried didn’t work but as soon as he ate all the seeds he still squawked for more! are birds really this fussy? what more else can i do? i’ve tried to encourage him to eat it by pretending to eat it but he’s still afraid of my hand at this point and i’m really worried. 😞

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
You mentioned he eats pellets if you offer them to him in your fingers. Keep doing that several times a day and he will develop a taste for them. Keep the seed and pellets separate in his bowls still, it can take a lot of time and patience to get them used to eating anything else other than the type of food they were weaned onto, so don't give up.

Do you offer him vegetables at all? You can start by giving him tiny bits of broccoli, celery or grated carrot in the same manner you do with hand feeding him the pellets. You can put some finely shredded veggies on top of his seed once he is accepting the veggies by hand. You can clip some leafy greens to the bars of his cage (mine particularly love silverbeet and spinach) and see how he reacts to them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i’ve actually continued feeding pellets through the cage recently and it’s been working so far! and yes i do feed him veggies a couple times a week and he absolutely loves it. thanks for all the help! 😊

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's great, glad you're making progress with him. :) You can feed him vegetables every day if he loves those, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts