Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me? My cockatiel isn't eating much. Awhile ago I gave him a cockatiel seed treat, which he loves and usually eats in a day, but he has barely even touched it! Also I have noticed that he seems to be off his food at the moment... Every now and again he will eat a little, but he hasn't been eating as much as he used to.

Is it possible he may have depression? I haven't spent as much time as I usually do due to getting a new dog in the family and having to train my horses for showing season. So could it be possible to get him back to eating if I spend a bit more time with him?

Or could he be feeling lonely? He is the only cockatiel that I have and I was thinking of getting him a cocketiel to play with when I don't have as much time for him. Could this fix his eating problem?

However, maybe if I change his feed he might like that better... He has been on this feed for a few months now. Maybe if I add something extra to his food he may be more inclined to eat...

Sorry if I am typing a bit so you can't understand, I am just very worried right now! Any suggestions would be helpful, as I cannot currently afford to take him to the vet due to vaccinations and what not for my other animals... Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Do you know how much your tiel normally weighs? Is he losing weight? Can you check his kiel bone? Not eating can be a sign of sickness. How are his droppings? Is he acting normally otherwise? If he's used to more attention and getting less, he could be lonely. Does he have access to food 24/7? Does he get more than just seeds? Tiels should also eat vegetables, pellets, etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What does his cage look like, size, does he have ample toys? If you can't be there with him all the time, does he have things to alleviate boredom, variety of perches, etc. . . .

Tiels also love spray millet, so perhaps you can sprinkle some on his food too. I also grind up the food for my tiel with a spice grinder because otherwise, he'll skip over all the healthy stuff just for seed in his bowl. What kind of food are you giving him?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so currently he is getting golden cob cockatiel seed, shell grit, some egg and biscuit and also there is honey and some vegetables in his treat. I know that he should not be only eating seed, but I have been thinking of ordering him some pellets and other vitamins he might need. But this is what the pet shop was currently feeding him and recommended that I feed him. He also has access to food 24/7.

He has plenty of perches, toys and swings. His cage is roughly about 1.6 meters high (including the stand), 1 meter in length and 0.4 meter in width (that is just by roughly looking at it, it could be a bit bigger or a bit smaller).

I am not actually sure how much he normally weighs, although from a distance he does seem just a little bit slimmer. I am also not actually sure what a kiel bone is? However his droppings are normal. He is acting rather normal as far as I can tell, however I can't tell what he's acting like while I'm not with him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts