Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cockatiel is no longer whistling his making this sound please see video. I could not find a Avian vet who can see him till the 4th any idea what is happening? He is eating no booger eyes or runny nose either

·
Registered
936 Posts
My Cockatiel is no longer whistling his making this sound please see video. I could not find a Avian vet who can see him till the 4th any idea what is happening? He is eating no booger eyes or runny nose either
It sounds like wheezing which could be a respiratory infection. You can't wait until the 4th. He needs to be seen as an emergency patient.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I will add: sometimes their digestive system makes noise when they are hungry. I've heard these sounds from all my 'shoulder chickens'. But the sounds cease after a bite to eat and it wouldn't make them stop whistling. Birds that feel ill might become less vocal, however.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Since I can’t get in sooner I took him with the breeder and she gave me doxycycline she said he does not seem that bad but we shall see
Make sure he has plenty of food and easy access to water.
That was a good idea since the vet is unavailable. Hope he's better soon.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Update: I brought Dusty to an emergency hospital an hour away from my home I couldn’t wait. Please pray that he comes out of this healthy
Is he home now or is he staying at the hospital? Of course, will pray for your little Dusty to get better soon.

·
Registered
936 Posts
His home now he got a shot of doxy but he is breathing heavily do you know how long it takes to work? He does not want to eat
Offer him his favorite foods and make them easy to get to (usually low in the cage so he doesn't have to climb). You have millet spray? They usually like it more than their regular food so it's good for an emergency like this. Make drinking water easy to get to as well. He has to eat and drink. Keep him warm. Heat is helpful but lights and heaters can be dangerous and it is easy to overheat a small bird. Do you have a diagnosis for him from the hospital?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dusty passed away. After bringing him home that Saturday I took him back today and he went into cardiac arrest. I’m truly heart broken.
I'm so sorry to hear that. You tried so hard to help him. I always wish they could tell us when they don't feel well, but instead their nature is to hide their illness. But you really cared and did what you could for him. Very sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts