Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
about my lutino: i don't know his or her gender his(her) body is more in yellow then in white brown eyes. and he(she) has spot under the wing but it is very hard to see

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Lutinos have wing spots and tail bars (or pearls if also pearl) that are visible under a black light. Lutino pied will either be missing some of these markings or will have none at all. Lutino pied often have intense red eyes that stay that way throughout its lifetime, other lutinos eyes dull with age or change to other colors. Its very difficult to identify adult male lutino pieds... pied feathers are different than lutino feathers in one distinctive way: they are yellowish and more "butterlike" to the trained eye it is possible to spot the difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

my lutino is 2.5 years old i newher saw another lutino and i can't tell it is normal pearled one or pied

(i can't take better pictures :( )

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The pictures are very low resolution. I am sorry I can't really tell that well either. But try the black light, if you see the tail missing any bars or the wings missing spots, it could be pied. Most lutinos are not pied since pied is recessive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can't see anything on black light when he(she) open wing if you look good you can see pale spots but i can't see anything on tail it is just yellow

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if he(she) isn't pied my guess will pearl becouse i saw many pictures of lutino their body is more white than yellow but my lutino's body like pale yellow and tail is yellow

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Pearls have long stretched out wing markings instead of wing spots. If you saw wing spots, its not a pearl. Hens will lay eggs, males will sing. If it is older than two yearas and has wing spots, its most likely a hen. But sometimes pied can cause males to retain wing spots until later in life. Yellow tint in lutinos tends to vary a bit.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I got your private message but decided it would be best to answer your question publicly in case somebody else needs help with this.

This is my Lutino Perky, she is only a lutino nothing else.

Pictures under a black light:

Wing:

Tail:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have one more question i bought 7 months ago my second cockatiel (i think it is pearled) they said it is male but he is't lost his pearls yet. pearl males always losing their pearls? and how can i tel if hi is pied or cinammon?
:pearl:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got your private message but decided it would be best to answer your question publicly in case somebody else needs help with this.

This is my Lutino Perky, she is only a lutino nothing else.

Pictures under a black light:

Wing:

Tail:
thank you :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
i have one more question i bought 7 months ago my second cockatiel (i think it is pearled) they said it is male but he is't lost his pearls yet. pearl males always losing their pearls? and how can i tel if hi is pied or cinammon?
:pearl:
If he hasn't started molting his pearls yet, this may actually be a she. By about a year old its pretty easy to tell males from hens.

If pied, it will have feathers that are either solid white or solid yellow. Pearl feathers have different colors mixed together and a solid black vein in the feather's center. Pied have no coloration at all, no markings, just white or yellow. Even the vein will be white or yellow with pied.

Cinnamon will be harder to tell, the nails will be brown and the wing flights will be noticeably cinnamon in color. Trying to tell if a pearl is cinnamon or not means ignoring coloration between pearls on the back and looking at the solid color parts of the plumage. This is why the wing flights are my personal favorite for this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If he hasn't started molting his pearls yet, this may actually be a she. By about a year old its pretty easy to tell males from hens.

If pied, it will have feathers that are either solid white or solid yellow. Pearl feathers have different colors mixed together and a solid black vein in the feather's center. Pied have no coloration at all, no markings, just white or yellow. Even the vein will be white or yellow with pied.

Cinnamon will be harder to tell, the nails will be brown and the wing flights will be noticeably cinnamon in color. Trying to tell if a pearl is cinnamon or not means ignoring coloration between pearls on the back and looking at the solid color parts of the plumage. This is why the wing flights are my personal favorite for this.
his nails is black also his beak. how can i know if hi molt already or he is young? (he already change his tail. only tail)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
his nails is black also his beak. how can i know if hi molt already or he is young? (he already change his tail. only tail)
If his nails are black, he should be a normal pearl. If the tail is changing color than its definitely a he, just hasn't finished molting yet. After he has finished molting he will look similar to a normal gray.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts