Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two cockatiels one male(max) and a female(kiwi) who are one year old.
So recently kiwi got a pretty bad night fright and lost all her left wing feathers and she had some blood on her. We took her to the vet who gave her an injection and a few antibiotics and asked to apply ointment on her wing. So the problem is. His mate is kind of a bully but loves to be around kiwi.due to her injury i moved kiwi to a separate cage since then max started screaming and Calling for her so much. What do i do? Should i let them be separated or keep them in the same cage. Kiwi sometimes sits at bottom of the cage. Is this because she is injured? Her wing looks like its been clipped. And she couldn't fly anymore.
So i have few questions for you guys.
1) should i let my two birds to be together.
2) if not how do i make my other bird to stop screaming.
3) do broken feathers grow back?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes, put them together, this will solve screaming problem. Feather will start growing back within a few weeks, please be patient.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In what way is Max a bully, if Kiwi is still recovering she may need some space to do so. Can you put the cages next to each other? Is Max hand reared can you take him out of his cage and give him extra attention and distraction? Feathers always grow back but it takes time and energy for the bird. Kiwi may not be as active as normal. You should also try to determine the cause of the night fright to possibly limit it happening again. My cockatiel Clover has night frights too his are typically caused by a flashing light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts