Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
please help me.... my cockarteil often looks like it is yawning. I am wondereing if perhaps that is not what it is doing. could it be poor air quality?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am new to this. did you just answer my question? My cockateil looks like it yawns!
Is it really poor air quality in the house with the heat on?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
No cockatiels "yawn" to adjust the contents if their crops, it's nothing to be worried about. My tiels do it as well:)

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Is it really poor air quality in the house with the heat on?
---------------------------------------

During the winter, with the heat on the humidity is very low and can dry out sinus. You might consider running a humidifier in his room to see if this helps.

Also as other posted, cockatiels will stretch their neck and yawn because it feels good (like it would to you if you did it) and it helps settle the crop especially after they ate. The crop is the holding pouch for food, that is gradually digested, rather than immediately digested.

I am new to this. did you just answer my question?
----------------------------------
No, I posted a link that is helpful to new people on the forum

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
If you want you can do a google search for images of bird anatomy. The crop is a pouch connected to the esophagus where food is stored and broken down a bit before being sent for further digestion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow! your all exteamly knowledgable about tiels!!!!!!!!!
I just love this little bird and want to provide the best I can for him. I have a lot of questions as this is my first bird. Its nice to know that I have a place to go to when something comes up with him.
He is ok during the day but cries his heart out if I am not home when it gets dark!!!
The minute I walk in he is all happy again!!!! Will he out grow this behavior? He screams, pouts, and throws things and waits for me to come home!!! I feel bad and now I make sure I am home when it gets dark> This is crazy hope he out grows this

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
P.S. He might outgrow this behavior when he's older. It sounds like you haven't had him for very long, which would mean that he's still getting used to his new home. He'll feel more comfortable when he's been there longer, and won't be so anxious to have you nearby.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
It is normal for cockatiels to yawn. :)

If they do it all day though, there is something wrong and they should be taken to the vet.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
My tiel doesn't like the dark or even a dimly lit room (except when he's sleeping). I keep a light on for him. And then at night, when I cover him, I still leave an opening in the cover and keep a night light on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, he is clearing out his crop as the last person explained. How old is he? It sounds like he is having typical "baby" behavior while adjusting to his new home. If he was not properly weaned when you got him, he will cry a lot too.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yes, he is clearing out his crop as the last person explained. How old is he? It sounds like he is having typical "baby" behavior while adjusting to his new home. If he was not properly weaned when you got him, he will cry a lot too.
These are not just baby behaviors. All birds (not just 'tiels) yawn/neck stretch to adjust their crop. It is a normal part of bird anatomy and behavior. As far as flock-calling, that is typical cockatiel behavior in general and has nothing to do with weaning. The baby begging behavior is a different type of call/motion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts