Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you keep journals about your birds? If so, what do you write down in there? Do you put pictures in there? Feathers? Feel free to share!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I don't keep a journal, but I love the idea. :) I have some collectible Smurf glasses, and one of those is nearly full of feathers from various molts and a couple night frights. My Facebook and Instagram timelines are full of pics of Joey, and I have an album at FB dedicated to him. I suppose as much as I post about him, I somewhat have a hodgepodge journal, of sorts, scattered over 3 websites.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I don't really journal. If anything, all my bird stories come on here. I do keep some feathers though, but they have to be in perfect condition, so not many make it through (but then again, I don't look real hard)

·
Registered
648 Posts
The only records I keep of my birds are their weights, which I take every day, their birthdays and what's known of their parents genetics. Not much of a journal I suppose. I probably should record more of their lives

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do the virtual equivalent! I blog about my birds on tumblr, hahaha! So many...photos and videos...
Same here! I actually just started a Tumblr bird journal of sorts recently, after realizing I had so many random photos and little videos I kept taking and then posting on random social media, that it just felt like it made more sense to put them all together in one place :)

I also keep some dropped feathers, especially tail and wing feathers, and check their weights every day!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I did for a long time. I would weigh everyone on Sunday and record their weights. I also kept pictures. I even made a scrapbook with every bird in it for my hubby a couple years ago (it really needs to be updated lol.) But I'm a writer so journaling is all part of the job!

·
Registered
58 Posts
What a great topic. I have a scrapbook that I'm going to make up about my lovebird who died two years ago. When he first died I used to write little memories of him in a book. On the cover of the journal there was a poem and one line said "may God give you for every storm a rainbow". It was significant for me because on the day he died there was huge perfectly formed rainbow in the sky and then I learned about the Rainbow Bridge poem.

I think it would be nice to capture the funny little things Sunny does just to remind myself of the simple pleasures and to maybe turn them into a book maybe something similar to the "Divatiel" memoir.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
journals

I do keep a journal, but it's not just about Bennie. I do often write about him. I taped one special feather in there. He was molting and dropped a "smiley-face" feather right on my knee! I thought it was just too cute!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Is Facebooking considered journaling? LOL! I used to have a Livejournal, but it's been ages since I posted there. I tend to post to Facebook now - pictures, little quirks, videos, rants on bird behavior (LOL), and people seem to enjoy what I whine about. As for feathers, I save mine in a plastic bag for crafts, or I put it on my alter :) .

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also save feathers for crafts and cards. @vampiric_conure thanks for the live journal info I'm getting back into journalling and it looks like a great resource. On the subject of social media, I notice that a lot of people have Twitter accounts for their birds - maybe it's because of the name :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm an avid journaler and sketcher, and always have my sketchbook with me. Elvis features a lot in it, but it isn't mainly about him. And I don't keep weights or any useful information in it, only feathers, drawings, small stories about weird stuff he does or progress we are making with taming... That sort of stuff. I'm not on FB, but if I was I guess my profile would be filled with pictures of him.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I also save feathers for crafts and cards. @vampiric_conure thanks for the live journal info I'm getting back into journalling and it looks like a great resource. On the subject of social media, I notice that a lot of people have Twitter accounts for their birds - maybe it's because of the name :D
Livejournal is a great place to go :) I love the fact that I get 15 choices of profile pictures to use. It's not as busy as it used to be, but the bird community, parrot_lovers, seems to be going strong.

Another good place to post is Tumblr. I don't find it as user friendly as Livejournal, but there's a lot more people on it.

SO yeah...lots of options to brag about our Fids :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is a good idea.I need to keep a record of when my birds lay because I can never remember when they are due to hatch.I could add other useful information also.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
What a great topic. I have a scrapbook that I'm going to make up about my lovebird who died two years ago. When he first died I used to write little memories of him in a book. On the cover of the journal there was a poem and one line said "may God give you for every storm a rainbow". It was significant for me because on the day he died there was huge perfectly formed rainbow in the sky and then I learned about the Rainbow Bridge poem.

I think it would be nice to capture the funny little things Sunny does just to remind myself of the simple pleasures and to maybe turn them into a book maybe something similar to the "Divatiel" memoir.
Like Sunnie, I also have a scrapbook I created with photos of Sunny so it is not a journal. It's just a small one but it is very cute and I like it a lot. :D I haven't been working on it for a long time now because I have too many projects that have taken priority but maybe by next summer I will be able to get back to doing it. I also plan to create a big scrapbook called "Sunny's Rules in Life" where each page talks about one of Sunny's rules. I even have all the rules written already but so far I have only created the first page. Sunny's first rule is "Always eat breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day." Again, that will have to wait until next summer! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts