Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newest girl Morgan has been confined to an incubation cage since she came to me with a rehurt wing when it was previously badly broken. I've been changing her paper towels out every time I see even one poopy in it.

When I picked her up to move her to the extra incubation cage for cleanout time I noticed she had some dried poop around her bottom area.

Do I try to clean her myself and stress her more with having the sore wing or let the vet do it tomorrow during her checkup? I just can't stand her being dirty down there but don't want to hurt her during the cleaning.

If I go ahead and clean her up do I use a wet washcloth? It looks really dried so I'm affraid I'll hurt her.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
You can try giving her a dish to bathe in...but you might let your vet see the poop stuck there first.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't have anything else to add, but agree with bjknight93.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet didn't want her to have any perches or anything to really perch on so she couldn't fall off and rehurt her bad wing. Morgan is having a balance issue due to her hurt wing as well. There is one pellet dish that she does sit on some in the incubation cage.

So, everyone thinks it will be best to let the vet just see her bottom the way it is? I've been trying so hard to keep her area clean and was shocked to see her this way.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'm surprised he would want her just sitting on the floor...could you not put a perch very low to the ground? Tiels have a perching instinct and she can't fall from a perch that's on the ground.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Where is it stuck to her? If it's actually blocking her vent, then this can cause problems with future droppings, and you will need to clean it off. if it's just stuck to the feathers, I agree with offering her some water to clean herself, or letting the vet do it.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I don't have anything else to add, but agree with bjknight93.
Please try to refrain from commenting if you do not have anything to add to the thread. This constitutes spam, and it makes it harder to follow the relevant posts on a thread. It is also against the forum rules: http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=1

Just a friendly reminder, since I know you're new.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vet was able to wash Morgan's bottom and get it all clean during our visit. She also cleaned her cere area and trimmed her toe nails. She then gave Morgan some millet for being such a good girl.

The vet was happy with how her wing looked today but there was still bacteria in her poop sample. She gave me Baytril to syringe her twice a day for the bacteria and then we go back to the vet's next Friday for another checkup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts