Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cockatiel seems to be molting but I have noticed that she has skin showing on her face.. I'm not sure if this is normal. I have been worrying about her health since she is 16 years old.

Her skin appears to be dark red above her nostrils and a bit on her left cheek. I know she likes scratching her face a lot with her toenails and they are quite long and sharp since we can't cut them (she's lutino so theres a chance she could bleed to death)
So would this be from molting or from scratching?

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I know she likes scratching her face a lot with her toenails and they are quite long and sharp since we can't cut them (she's lutino so theres a chance she could bleed to death)
I don't know where you heard that, but it is absolutely NOT true. Any mutation can bleed if you hit the quick, or the sensitive part of the nail where the tissue and blood is.

I say it's her nails causing her pain. I would get her a trim

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Could be a bit of both...it sounds like she's really irritated by her moult...the best thing for that is a warm water spritz with 100% aloe mixed in. It will help with the itchy. Then you should get her nails clipped. She will not bleed to death if it is done properly. You can ask your vet to show you how to do it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Definitely get the toenails clipped! Even if you clip the very tip of the toenails it helps a ton because they aren't so sharp. You can easily do it yourself if you can get someone else to hold him. If not, you can always have a professional do it- our local bird store does it for $10. I wouldn't worry about bleeding to death from a toenail clip. Even if you accidentally hit the quick, the blood is pretty easily stopped with some corn starch or flour. I'd be more worried about clipping feathers than toenails.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts