Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday my cockatiel had a funny smell coming from mouth. I thought maybe he had a yeast infection but then realized the smell was actually coming from his wings (transferred to his mouth after preening). He seems perfectly fine and healthy, active, eating as usual etc. After drinking water the smell from his mouth went away but remains on his wings (it has a cheesy scent to it). He’s a bit more aggressive in front of a mirror but it is spring time. Can the scent be related to hormones? Any idea what it could be? He definitely didn’t fall into any foods to give him that smell. And I gave him a bath now it seemed to have faded but still there. I also smell it when he fluffs his wings a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Seri,

People and animals can still have yeast infections on the skin in severe cases. If the smell remains after bathing the tiel (with hot water in a clean spray bottle), I would see an avian vet.

-Amy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Amy, took him in today. It was an impacted oil gland. Too much build up caused an infection. Thank god it wasn’t a yeast infection, he’s doing just fine 🙂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts