Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone.

I'm thinking about getting a harness for my upcoming cockatiel:grey tiel:, so she can join my morning walks, but I'm afraid of it will get attacked my birds of prey. :grey:

There are not any big predators in my area and I live away from the city and busy roads areas, so it should not be frightened by "sudden movements", but I do live near a forest where are a lot of birds live.

Do you think animals will try to attack my bird if it is near me?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
They might, who knows how afraid of humans they are in your area. Your best bet would be to probably walk with her on your shoulder with the harness on and maybe an umbrella over your head to protect her from any unwanted attention.

Aviator harnesses are a good brand if you are looking. Tiels are usually in the petite size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They might, who knows how afraid of humans they are in your area. Your best bet would be to probably walk with her on your shoulder with the harness on and maybe an umbrella over your head to protect her from any unwanted attention.

Aviator harnesses are a good brand if you are looking. Tiels are usually in the petite size.
Thanks for your answer and recommendation. I have taken a look on the Aviator harness and it seems to be quite good :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
The aviator harness has worked well for Kirby and I, but he seems to be chewing through it, so I've also gotten him a flightsuit for while I'm driving/when I take him to work because I can't be constantly stopping him from chewing. I use the harness for walks and for taking Kirby on bike rides, which he loves.

Also, no matter where you live there is some bird of prey or another, trust me. Just keep a close eye on the sky and keep your tiel very close to you; on your shoulder by your neck or right on your hand near your chest. Some birds of prey can be very brave against humans, but, in my experience, most will leave you alone. However, no matter what your experience with them may be, it's best to never let your guard down.

Also, your tiel him/herself may be able to help you. I remember I was walking from my car to work one day with Kirby sitting on my shoulder (it was about four to five feet, so I wasn't really paying attention), and suddenly Kirby huddled against my neck, underneath my hair. When I looked up, a hawk was circling overhead. Again, though, no matter how aware your tiel is you should always be aware yourself; I learned that lesson that day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts