Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, when I first got my cockatiels in June their wings were clipped and they are grown out now so they can fly very very well every time a door opens they fly off me out it and they crash in to windows and behind things that I can't get to. I'm worried that they will fly out an open window or door. The other people in my house don't like the birds and would leave windows and doors open all the time so I don't think they will make sure every window and door is closed. What should I do? I would rather not clip again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Can you just let them out while you are in the room with them? They will improve their flying skills with time and practice, meanwhile if they are in a smaller room they don't build up as much speed when flying and so the crashes are less likely to hurt them

J

·
0 Posts
Those "other people" who would "leave doors and windows open all the time" should be glad I am not there as I would have a very firm word with them that they should have the maturity level enough to be aware of the fact that if your tiel escapes outdoors it will die. Can't you have a serious word with them?

People who are careless with such matters makes my blood boil. Even if they don't like birds they should should be respectful of the fact that a bird is in the house and that common sense measures must be practiced to avoid your tiel from flying outside and getting killed!

God help that person who would open a door or window even for a split second if my tiel is out of his cage. I have a VERY strict policy that NO front door or window is ever to be opened unless my tiel is secured in his cage or another room. That is a disaster waiting to happen for sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can just give them their attention in my room (where their cage is in) that's no problem. I phrased it badly,they leave doors and windows open just to open them without realizing the cockatiels are out it doesn't help that my dog can open doors lol. Would taking them outside on their harnesses to 'burn off energy' before I have them in other rooms of the house help?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Clipping doesn't necessarily mean that they won't be able to fly. If they are crashing into things it may actually help them slow down a bit, so as not to hurt themselves. Of course if you don't wish to clip that is your choice. As far as the rest goes, I would only let them out with supervision, and make sure all windows and doors are closed first. I too would explain to my housemates that this is a worry of yours and request that they respect your feelings. You might also want to limit them being out to one room, whether or not they have been out on harness.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all of the replies,the reason I don't want to clip is because when I first got them when they tried to fly they were very clumsy. I will limit out of cage time to just my bedroom.

J

·
0 Posts
Every single morning I make my tiel around the house to make him burn off energy and get some healthy exercise and much needed cardio. I do this a few times every day.... but if I was making my tiel fly around in my bedroom (bedrooms are so small) then that makes it much more difficult for them to fly in such a tiny confined area and it would not work out. I always have my tiel fly across the entire house (all my windows have beautiful palm tree stencils on them)... they are stencil stickers that look so real. Here's a pic of one of my windows...

I would try the above to burn off energy when nobody is at home or at least fully aware of what is happening. The below pic doesn't do the stencils any justice.... they are really beautiful.... I don't have a better pic on hand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Babies are always clumsy, especially if they never learned to fly properly. I would still lightly clip them as there's no way to guarantee they will not fly. Even if they are tired, an open door is gonna seem like the perfect opportunity to fly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are 9 months old now (I think) so not really young babies, I will give them a very light clip as a precaution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts