Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I was wondering what you guys feed to your cockatiels. What veggies and fruits do you recommend or which do your birds' enjoy? Also, what food should I avoid?

Thank you! :grey tiel:

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are plenty of lists online for safe and unsafe bird foods - I think there is one linked on the sticky thread in this forum. :)

Tiels usually tend to prefer veggies over sweet fruits.

I have 6 cockatiels now and they all LOVE what's called the circus mix/diet. Even my former seed junkies eat it really happily. It's essentially an equal mix of soaked or sprouted seeds, bird pellets, beans/pasta, and finely chopped fruit/veggies.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there, this website has an awesome list of safe and toxic foods for cockatiels.

My flock get a variety of different seed mixes, some nuts on occasion, pellets (brands are Vetafarm, Roudybush, Harrison's and on occasion Lafeber's), and a variety of herbs and vegetables. They won't touch fruit but that's typical for most cockatiels as they aren't natural fruit eaters.

·
Registered
56 Posts
broccoli, sprout leaves, dandelion leaves,
spinach, turnip greens, and collard greens
Veggies and fruits that add to the
nutritional content are: maize, pea-pods, cauliflower, leeks, beans and zucchini. beans, asparagus, okra, banana, beets, potato, apples, pomegranates, grapes,
cranberries, guava, tangerines, tomato, berries, oranges, blueberries, plums,
figs, pineapple, etc.
****Are all these safe for my tiel???****

·
Registered
56 Posts
nutritional content are: maize, pea-pods, cauliflower, leeks, beans and zucchini. beans, asparagus, okra, banana, beets, potato, apples, pomegranates, grapes,
figs, pineapple, etc.
Food ls from an article

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
figs, pineapple, etc.
Did you check out the link I put in my previous post? You will find a safe and unsafe list of foods there.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Everything on your list is fine. Be aware that dried beans contain natural toxins, and most of them need to be cooked to remove these toxins. There are a few where you can get away with just sprouting them until they have a 1/2" tail (mung, adzuki, garbanzo) and lentils are OK with a 1/4" tail. But all the other beans/legumes to be cooked whether you sprout it first or not.

Cockatiels usually don't like fruit, and vegetables are more nutritious than fruit anyway. So you don't need to bother with fruit at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.