Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Cockatiel flying around

892 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  FitzTheCockatiel 
#1 ·
My cockatiel likes to fly around when he either gets bored, doesn't like something and wants to leave, or when he gets scared. He acts like if each time he is scared, but I don't think he usually is. After he flies, he usually goes onto the ceiling fan and it takes a while to get him down. How do I prevent him doing this? I am working on better recall training him, and on practicing that in the hallway between me and others to give him training and exercise. I have also tried putting him back into his cage when he does this but often he flies away before I can get him into the cage, and I really hate grabbing him. I much prefer to let him step up and do things at his own pace. The last thing I have tried is rewarding him when he comes down but nothing seems to be working. I am open to ideas. Please let me know what you think I should do.

Btw I never have the fan on when he is out.

#2 ·
If the fan's not going, don't worry about it. :) Cockatiels will fly around to stretch their wings, get exercise, or generally just explore. As long as they're not getting into something up on the fan, there really isn't a problem with them being up there.

As for recalling off of the fan, try using a piece of millet. Hold it in your fist, extend your two fingers, and call for your bird. When they come to your hand, reward with the millet and praise them. Offer scratches in reward too. The more you do this, the more positively they'll see the action of you calling for them, and will actively want to come to you.Remember, as with training any animal, positive reinforcement works wonders! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.