Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I rescue abandoned baby wildlife fairly often, one of which is a flying squirrel. I let my cockatiel out to fly around my room, and sometimes he likes to perch in the squirrels cage. It’s usually covered at the top by a towel, and even if it isn’t the squirrel hasn’t seemed to bother him much. Tonight the towel shifted or he moved it, I’m not sure, but the squirrel bit his foot and would not let go. This has never happened before, I tried to reach in and make the squirrel let him go, but he had an iron grip so it took a good 15 seconds at least. I managed to get my cockatiel back into his cage, but his feet are bleeding and I’m not sure what to do. This cockatiel hasn’t gotten super used to me yet so doesn’t like me touching that much, especially not extensively around his feet. I laid a towel down in his cage and gave him a very shallow Dish of water. He seems to have calmed down, but is still balancing on one of his branches and I can tell it hurts when he walks. It being the Fourth of July night, I don’t think I can take him anywhere. Is there anything else I can do for him? Sorry for the long post, I just want to be able to do something for him if I can. Like I said, he’s calmed down now and I don’t think he’s still bleeding (he’s small of course so I can’t tell for sure. If he is it’s minimal). Thank you for any help or advice :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
If bleeding is stopped, Don't worry. She will favorite one feet for a while, that is fine. The healing process will take a few weeks. I hope the bit wound is not too deep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If bleeding is stopped, Don't worry. She will favorite one feet for a while, that is fine. The healing process will take a few weeks. I hope the bit wound is not too deep.
Me too! Thank you :) I saw some scary things online about blood loss in birds so I was really worried. Seems to be doing okay this morning though, other than being angry that he’s stuck in his cage 😂

1 - 3 of 3 Posts