Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed that he does this a couple times throughout the day and it’s starting to worry me. it’s been going on for maybe a week and i’m really confused why...
i feed him pellets and he has no issue eating them.i feed him seeds in a different bowl as well. every other day i feed him veggies like broccoli and carrots since he hates fruit. i also have a cuttlebone in the cage.
is he trying to search for more food? i don’t want to risk him getting sick. let me know if i should send him to the vet instead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cockatiels sometimes eat their poop when they are nutrient deficient, but it seems that's maybe not the case if he is eating what you say he is eating but I can't be certain. Does your cage have grate at the bottom? If not, consider getting one to separate him from his poop. If it does, maybe check that it is cleaned often. I haven't heard of cockatiels getting sick from eating droppings, it may have just become a habit.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
They are very curious birds and pick at everything so if there is some dried poop stuck to the grate of their cage or on a perch or something, they are likely to pick at it. Mine have never got sick from doing this. I just make sure I wipe down their cages and everything in it daily, sometimes twice daily to minimize misplaced droppings in their cages.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.