Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cockatiels, and have recently moved house with them about 4 weeks ago. They didn't initially show any signs of stress, they carried on acting normally and didn't have any watery poos, but I started to notice them picking at poo on their perches. I thought initially that maybe they were just cleaning it, but then noticed they actually seemed to be chewing like they were eating. I googled it and it said that this could be stress and that they have lost nutrients, so put them some vitamin drops in their water for a few days and bought a 'bird Wellbeing food supplement' that you make up and mix in with their food. They've been eating this now for about 5 days but are still doing the thing with poo.

Has anyone seen this before? Could it just be that they are cleaning their perch?

Thanks
Frankie

·
Registered
120 Posts
Try giving them calcium & iodine blocks, and some cuttlebone. If they don't go for them (rare chance they won't), then scrape some of each block into their food bowls

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They've got a cuttlebone in their cage which they go to a fair bit. I might get an iodine block cause I've not replaced that in a while. I'll try scraping some in their food too! Thank you

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'd avoid the vitamin drops, you can overdose them on vitamins. Do as suggested above and if it continues I'd talk to your vet.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have read eating poo could be a sign of calcium depletion. If they're not attacking their cuttlebone you could try adding this to their food. Just sprinkle a little on the food bowl and mix it in. It's a powdered form of cuttlebone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your help. I scraped some cuttlebone in today.. I'll get an iodine block and carry on scraping it in for a few days. Thanks!! x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts