Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone:) my Name is Ivana and I recently welcomed a new child to the family. I am not to sure what type of Cockatiel he is but I have attached a recent picture of him. I got him when he was about 3 weeks old in August and is now going on 3 months old.

I was hand feeding him and reduced his feeding times as he got older. When he started to fly I started to give him seeds, fruit and veggies to eat which he started to eat but I would still hand feed him once a day. He went through a stage where he would only get his seeds and fruit and I would not hand feed him now he has gotten into a habit of only eating a few seeds and will scream for his porridge (hand rearing formula) every morning and night time and won't touch his seeds till he has had his porridge then afterwards he will go and snack on his seeds.

Is there anything I can do to completely wean him? It is getting very frustrating having to feed him his porridge, and I feel that he seems very skinny and has reached a stage where he doesn't seem to be growing anymore.

If anyone could please help or advise me on what to do I would really appreciate it

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
At 3 months, you can refuse to give him formula. At this stage, parents raised babies will still beg for food from parents, but in most case, parent will reject feeding the babies except at night. I would not give him formula during the day, let him eating solid food all day. I will check his daily weight, if his weight drops, or crop is not full before bed time I will give him some formula.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was like this! When we first got him he was weaned but we think the stress made him lose progress and he would not eat at all. We were worried he’s starve so tried to hand feed him formula and voila, he was eating! After a week or so of two feeds a day to get his weight back up, we ended up leaving him for the day and feeding him formula at around 4pm. He’d cry all day until he was around 4 1/2 months, when he eventually decided he had enough of formula and went on to seed (we’re still trying to get him on pellets and veggies though!). It was like a switch being flicked. One day he was crying for formula and the next he was completely eating all on his own. It’s irritating, I know, but persist and he will eventually wean himself when the time is right for him.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Try holding some seeds in your hand for him to eat. He might be more interested in having someone take care of him than he is in the formula itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve let all mine get to the point they refused baby formula, usually around 6 months, maybe 7 or 8. They’ve all grown up nice and solid, few health issues through life. I had a pair who hid from me. Didn’t know they had eggs until the babies were about 2 months. (Long story.) They were successful in that they raised the babies themselves, but the two babies were thinner, and had health problems later in life - were susceptible to chills, got bacteria infections a couple times. I know a lot of breeders will tell you to get them off formula sooner, but I’ve had a lot of success “babying” the babies. Try millet first. They usually go nuts. Then try other types of seeds and veggies. You can put drops of formula on different foods. IMHO, it’s too soon to worry too much. Hand feeding also increases human bonding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts