Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Cockatiel chronic egg layer: TOYS ok yes or no?

996 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Sky<3 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a ~ 7 year old cockatiel who has been laying a lot of eggs the year I was fostering a lovebird that was found outside. During this time she started to get very attached to the lovebird and started to lay eggs every month.

I took her to the vet and the gave her vitamins and calcium shots and also lupron. The vet suggested more lupron shots if the situation did not get better in the future.

We did all the steps to help stop the egg laying rearranged the cage, limited lighting hours, fed less, left eggs in cage etc... It didn't help at first but finally we found a home that adopted the lovebird we were fostering. Once he was adopted and gone we noticed a change in her behaviour, she was much better and didn't lay as many eggs.

She also used to get stimulated by a rope toy in her cage which we removed as soon as we noticed what she was using it for...She'd rub her bottom end on this rope perch toy and you know.... We took a lot of toys out to avoid her getting stimulated by them.

Since the lovebird we were fostering was re-homed she's been better!
It's been a year without any egg laying I'd say, but we are so paranoid, that we haven't put her old toys back in her cage.... Or any toys just cuttlebones and blocks etc. for chewing...

I feel bad but it's very scary when you think your bird is getting stimulated by everything lol. She even got very cozy with one of our dogs toys... Which we got rid of as well. Anyhow she hasn't laid an egg in about a year so we are very happy about that.

So, after all that my question is: Should I put toys back into her cage now. I was thinking of buying a huge selection and of course changing the arrangement frequently and not using that big rope perch type she used to love so much lol.....

What do you guys think? I know how important toys are for mental stimulation so I'd like to put a bunch back in she's just so easily stimulated lol.

Any thoughts and opinion would be appreciated! Thank you! :yellow pied:

See less See more
#3 ·
Okay thank you I feel better putting them back in. She's always out with us playing with the dog toys and stuff lol so it I'm sure she will be back to normal from now on. It's just while the lovebird was living with us she was laying eggs every month so we were very scared for her well being. I'll give her toys back and remove any and replace them if she starts getting attached to them again like you said.

:clap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.