Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a little bit of a problem with the father of my tiel chicks as some of you may know. I got the problem sorted but now for some reason the chick that the father was plucking has slow crop. I think it's the temperature and humidity change since my birds live outside in an aviary and I brought the chick inside for a bit while trying to figure out the problem with the father. His crop is a little stiff and isn't going away. I weighed him last night and he was 88 grams, this morning he was 93. So obviously the food isn't going away but the mother keeps feeding him. I took him inside and he is now in the brooder, it's been an hour since I brought him in and his weight went down by 1 gram.

So my question is how do I fix this problem? I gave him some warm water in a syringe and that made his crop a little softer but it surely isn't helping very well. Please help me out here, I don't want to lose this little guy.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
A vet is your best bet at this point. As I stated in your other thread, slow crop is hard to come back from which is why I didn't want you to remove the babies.

With the loss of the gram, is the crop getting any smaller? You're going to want to time it to see how fast it empties. The parents fill the crops as full as possible on purpose. Sometimes it's bigger than their heads. Let the crop fully empty and then try putting the baby back with mom for a feed. That being said, keeping the baby warm and in a box with a regulated temperature is really going to help with the slow crop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's been 7 hours since I brought him inside and the crop has gone down quite a bit. Only about 25% full, should I wait til it's all gone or should I put him back in with his mother now?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
4 hours have passed and the crop is nearly empty, just a tiny bit left and it's actually soft so I put him back with his momma. The little guy lost 10 grams since I took him inside which I think is quite a bit of weight for such a small bird. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts