Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

I have a young male of 6 month that is molting for the first time.

He's a light pied split to cinnamon, ino, pearl and white face.

Before the molt, he had a normal grey plumage but now he's changing the grey feathers with cinnamon ones.

Furthermore, even the beak changed to a brown color.

In photos it is evident the contrast between the old grey feathers and the new brown ones. The photo with him on the feeder is before the molt.

What does it means? is he a cinnamon pied? Or it is an evident sign that he's split to cinnamon?

He also has a lot of filoplumes, mostly around the neck...he's the only cockatiel that i have that have them, is it normal?
Will he lose them when he will grow up?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His parents are : Male lutino pied split to pearl x Female cinnamon pearl white face split to pied

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have 2 cinnamon cockatiels. My male looks more of a really really light grey almost a silver but all his female chicks have been normal cinnamon. But none had the 2 tones. Maybe his color is just changing. Here is our cinnamon chick from this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know about the cinnamon color being photo sensitive.... the fact is that my cockatiel is not a cinnamon but only split to it.

His father is a lutino pied split to pearl and i know even its parents, brothers and sisters, no cinnamon in them.

The cinnamon gene comes only from the mother, so he can only be split to it.

When he was a chick he was a normal light grey color, only with his first molt he's changing to a more brown one, but for example the flight feathers didn't change and are still grey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts