Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I plan on getting a cockatiel, but I have a concern:grey tiel:
My room is located in our basement (Finished) and I do have a window, but I was wondering if it’s safe for him to be in my room, or if I should move him.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
I don't see why your room wouldn't be safe. Do you plan on letting the bird out some to fly around and stretch it's wings? You might also consider putting the cage near the window where he can get some sun.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

A cage next to a sunny window is an ideal placement. The window shouldn't be a danger as long as you have a mesh curtain or blinds to cover it so your 'tiel doesn't fly directly into the glass and get injured.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
cage position

Bennie's cage is next to an east-facing window. He gets the morning sun, but UV light doesn't pass through glass. If you have a screen, your bird will get the beneficial UV rays. I have a full-spectrum "sun light" above his cage. Since your bedroom is in the basement, I think it would be a good idea to have a light. Mine is on a timer from 7:30 AM until 7:30 PM. (Bennie seems to know that when the light goes out, it's almost time for bed!)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Bennie's cage is next to an east-facing window. He gets the morning sun, but UV light doesn't pass through glass.
There are several types of UV light: UV-A, UV-B and UV-C. UV-A actually does penetrate through glass, while the other two do not. UV-A light is very important for a bird's vision.

UV-B is important for vitamin D absorption but vitamin D is almost always included in pelleted food so there's an argument that UV-B isn't essential when 'tiels are being fed the correct diet.

There is a very detailed article on this subject here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.