Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my pet cockatiel Rio for about 7-9 Months and it was great up until about a month ago, See I work on the weekends and have classes in the afternoon on weekdays during these times He is usually in his cage or with my dad. He used to be bonded to me and would never want to leave my side, He would play with my hair and show affection which I would reciprocate with cuddles and millet but in the last month he never wants to be with me and screams and screams until he some how makes his way to my dad. My dad doesn’t even really like him and constantly pushes him away, ignores or puts him in his cage. I’m really not sure what to do and I know he doesn’t hate me since I’m the 2nd choice. Any advice on what me and my dad should do?

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
757 Posts
If your dad is REALLY put off that bad over the bird, simply ask him to kindly stay away from the poor tiel.......That's not only a bad deal for you, but the bird itself! TRY and spend as much time with him as you can and continue to offer him scratchs and treats. Hopefully intime, he'll come around to you again.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
757 Posts
Cockatiels are stubborn! If mine is doing something I don't want him to do and I gently push him away it just seems to make him more determined to get his way. It is just their nature hehe
This may be true but for the original poster already saying his dad didn't even like the bird just kind of struck a nerve with me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may be true but for the original poster already saying his dad didn't even like the bird just kind of struck a nerve with me.
Can’t really stay away when we live in the same home, I try to keep him in my room even with the 24/7 Screeching I try to get as much contact especially when he is tired and more passive but it seems that he is not willing to forget my dad.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Have you tried just relaxing and having fun?

My tiel loves it when I crank up some rnb. He loves it when I whistle his tunes back to him. He loves it when I eat some fresh cilantro and I am willing to share.

I have learnt how to get his attention and you can too by some trial and error. Find what little birdo loves and you will gave him literally eating out of the palm of your hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts