Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockatiel which I just bought today has been bleeding under the feather above his leg. It keeps running around left and right. My cockatiel seems to be stress. It is pretty young not sure about the exact age. It's been quiet the entire day but now it keeps chirping. I keep him in a metal cage and there are two wooden perches. At first, when I saw the blood he hasn't started bleeding but now he seems to be bleeding out. He was trimmed this morning by the pet shop owner. I am a new parrot owner. It plucks its wing and bites it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have any Kwik Stop Styptic Powder that you can apply to the bleeding site with a cotton ball? Apply pressure for 5-9 seconds. If not I would contact an Avian vet. Sorry I can’t help more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any Kwik Stop Styptic Powder that you can apply to the bleeding site with a cotton ball? Apply pressure for 5-9 seconds. If not I would contact an Avian vet. Sorry I can’t help more.
Are there any other alternatives? I am desperate for help but I do not have styptic powder

·
Registered
3 Posts
They can bleed out and die. Sounds like the groomer did something. if you can’t get to him just keep it calm and warm. Make sure it’s eating and drinking water. get it to an avian vet ASAP. If it’s a nail that’s bleeding you can use ivory soap to stop the bleeding if you don‘t have styptic powder. Make sure it’s IVORY SOAP, not soap you use to wash with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cornstartch or flour can work, it's what I've used in the past. It's essential to find the bleeding. If a blood feather was cut and doesn't stop bleeding you have to pull it out to stop the bleeding. Even if the bleeding stops they must be watched to ensure it doesn't start again. Bleeding in birds is life and death, they don't have the same ability to clot as most animals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts