Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im just looking for a bit of advice. I bought a cockatiel abut 2 weeks ago from a pet shop and the woman told me he was 2 and a half months old. The only thing is that he seems to be really violent. If someone so much as walks past his cage he opens his mouth and lunges forward to bite them. I get him out of the cage as much as possible (he sits on my arm after about 5 minutes of jumping around the cage) but if i try to tickle him or even put my finger near him he bites! And i mean chunks have been taken out of my fingers. Im not sure if he is just bad tempered or just not used to being handled as much so I thought id ask people with a bit more experience. Also, when he is in the cage he sits and sings to himself (havent a clue what hes singing but he seems to enjoy it) and if i whistle it sounds like he is replying so it is baffling me as to why he would bite me?

Any suggestions?? :confused:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi,

Im just looking for a bit of advice. I bought a cockatiel abut 2 weeks ago from a pet shop and the woman told me he was 2 and a half months old. The only thing is that he seems to be really violent. If someone so much as walks past his cage he opens his mouth and lunges forward to bite them. I get him out of the cage as much as possible (he sits on my arm after about 5 minutes of jumping around the cage) but if i try to tickle him or even put my finger near him he bites! And i mean chunks have been taken out of my fingers. Im not sure if he is just bad tempered or just not used to being handled as much so I thought id ask people with a bit more experience. Also, when he is in the cage he sits and sings to himself (havent a clue what hes singing but he seems to enjoy it) and if i whistle it sounds like he is replying so it is baffling me as to why he would bite me?

Any suggestions?? :confused:

Hello. try this easy 3 step guide.
With nervous birds cover half the back, sides & top of the cage to give
them some sense of security. Talk softly to your birds at every opportunity
but don't stand over them like a predator.
In the cage provide a basic seed mix, dry, soaked, sprouted & water.
All other foods can be used as treat foods during taming.

STEP 1
Feed treat foods in small portions, by placing them on the top of the cage.
Retire to a distance your birds are comfortable with, at each treat feed sit
closer while they eat.
The closer you get, the longer you give them to get used to your presence.
When the time arrives that you can sit quietly by the cage & talk softly to
your birds while treat foods are eaten. Step 1 is complete.

STEP 2.
Hold on to the treat food & feed it through the front bars. If this scares
them use tweezers or chopsticks for a few feeds. Slowly moving your
fingers nearer to the food each time, When you can hold the food in your
fingers while they eat it you have completed step 2.

STEP 3
Inside the cage hold a small treat between your finger & thumb so your
birds can reach it.
After a day or two of successful hand feeding. Your bird should be ready
to step-up on to your hand to eat. Once step-up is completed you can let
your birds out, knowing you can get them back with a treat step-up...B.J.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts