Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have an 11th-month cockatiel, I bought him when he was eight months. He has started to feel comfortable now with us. So I do have few questions about him. I would be really glad if you consider answering them.
1. How do I tell his gender? I looked up to few websites but none of them was helpful.
2. Why does he keep trying to eat everything, bedsheets, his cage, threads, jewellery, plate, literally everything he sees?
3. He barely speaks. He is 11th months old now and he barely speaks, he just makes weird noises when I pet him but nothing else. I am scared if I will be able to teach him how to speak or whistle. Can anyone help?
4. He still acts like a baby and he is very moody. He will let you touch when he is mood and will bite you if not. If will come to you if he is in mood and bite you if not. What should I do?
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
206 Posts
1. Would I be able to see a picture of him? If I saw what he looked like, it could help determine whether he is indeed a he or if he is a she.
2. All birds LOVE to chew on things no matter what it is. Does he have lots of toys he can shred and play with?
3. If he is actually a she, then most often females don't speak.
4. All birds eventually go through a phase when they are very moody so I wouldn't be too upset right now. He could be hormonal, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have an 11th-month cockatiel, I bought him when he was eight months. He has started to feel comfortable now with us. So I do have few questions about him. I would be really glad if you consider answering them.
1. How do I tell his gender? I looked up to few websites but none of them was helpful.
2. Why does he keep trying to eat everything, bedsheets, his cage, threads, jewellery, plate, literally everything he sees?
3. He barely speaks. He is 11th months old now and he barely speaks, he just makes weird noises when I pet him but nothing else. I am scared if I will be able to teach him how to speak or whistle. Can anyone help?
4. He still acts like a baby and he is very moody. He will let you touch when he is mood and will bite you if not. If will come to you if he is in mood and bite you if not. What should I do?
Thank you very much.

1. Gender - the ONLY way to know for sure is to do DNA testing. Many bird stores can help you with that. You can contact Animal Genetics Inc. in FL. It cost me $20 give or take. Read on site what to do as there are specific directions.

2. He is a bird. People use their hands and mouths, fingers, feet, etc. He is a bird and thus uses his beak. Anything shiny, etc. is fair game.

3. As bird owners we need to remember that we get them to care about them and love them and not because we want them to whistle, speak, or sing. They are wonderful little beings regardless of what they do. In addition if you want to try to get her/him to talk you just continue to repeat words, phrases, songs. My little guy says his name because he hears it so often and sings "If you're happy and you know it" because I played it for him on You Tube.

4. See #2.

Would serious recommend being in touch with a behaviorist to receive any help you desire, advice, encouragement, etc. You can write to me if you want a name of the person I use who is AMAZING and very fair price wise, etc.

Be well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone,
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like a typical cockateil. They will chew everything they use their mouths like babies to taste everything that's normal. They do t talk as much as ither birds keep working on it will come. Mone cuddles next to me nibbles on. beard very lovable but when she does not want to be pet she let's me know. Wait until he goes through his terrible two's. Lol.. just be patient and make sure you handle him every day even if he just sits on the couch with you.

What I have noticed cockateil at first are alot like cats not dogs they have an attitude of their own. But once that bond is formed its awesome do not force them to do things. Also when working with them if have reflection in your voice and act excited about it they react better to it. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts