Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i got a pair of cockatiels about a week ago. the male bird was a bit tame and would start singing and whistling whenever I went near him, he even ate some millet I offered him in my hand. I change his cage location because the female was showing a few illness signs and I wanted them to be in a better place. since that day, the male has been aggressive and tries to bite whenever I get close to him, he comes down to his lower perch and bites the cage and the little tray cover I put on to collect the seeds. how can I fix his behavior?
they both don't move a lot and stand on the lower perch and the food bowls all day long and go up to the higher cage at night to sleep

* I have contacted some vets and they told me not to worry and just gave me a drop to put in her water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would say that he needs exercise , but that’s not really an option with new birds . Try to give him toys and things to play with to get his energy out , maybe it would be best to let him out to exercise , if there is food and water in his cage he will end up back in there anyway so don’t worry about catching him and putting him back .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cage aggression is often caused by breeding hormones, and your female's "illness signs" might have been caused by hormones too. Here's an article on hormone control: Little Feathered Buddies hormone control
thanks, I put a nestbox up for him and he spends most of his time there. the female doesn't go in that much but stands in front of it. I felt like she was sick but it was nothing she lost a feather with very little blood and the medicine was for that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
So, they are still in very early stage of breeding. They will starting mating multiple times a few when breeding well on the way. Now, provide hen enough calcium supply. This is important for hen and prevent egg binding issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts