Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cockatiels, a white male with red eyes, and a black female tiel. They both used to live in along with a little zebra finch in a small white cage. The cage was wayy to small for them so to make up for it, i let them out and free roam my room any way they like. But the problem still arose that i couldent let them out when I was away. I used to let them out when i was away but i stopped doing that after an incident where my female cockatiel got her head stuck in a door. So i finally decided to get them a new cage, A big cage, one that could house a cockatoo comfortably and set it up for them. The next day, they still wanted to be let out and would cling to the side of the cage until i opened the door. The birds also dont seem to miss their old cage witch i guess is nice. They have a love/hate relationships with cages, where they always want to be near it but never inside unless hungry or tired. Is there any way to make them happier with cages? maybe new toys?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cockatiels are very particular about certain things. If they are used to having out cage time, they will still expect out cage time no matter how big cage is. My cockatiels like to hang out on top of cage, only go back cage for food if I let them cage door open all day. I don't think toys will help. I think, it will make them happy by let them out for a while each day. You can set rule, let them out only if at certain time when you'r at home. They will get use to this schedule and be happy about this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 9 Tiels.. Mom & Dad and 7 brats (all good birds raised from eggs). I have dedicated a whole room to let them do what they want. It didn't start out that way.. I built a 8'x8'x10' flight cage to keep them all happy. My mother bird (Mollie) soon found that she could chew through the Nylon webbing I had used for the cage. The rest of them picked up on it real quick. Now, my (once) cage looks like spaceship landing ports with bay doors like out of a Star Wars movie. My crew come and go as they please. The cage is still a sanctuary for eating and sleeping or a place for protection, if they think..

I let them be natural birds.. No wing clipping, no special food (yogurt sunflower seeds??? Give a break). Everyone gets along pretty good most of the time.

So don't try to out think them.. You will lose every time.. Just take solace in their beauty, their God-given grace, and intelligence.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts