Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone uses or knows of a therapist who has a bird as a therapy animal in their office. I have had Sunshine with me every day, and s/he seems to be doing really well, and clients appear to like her. I'm curious how common it is.

S/he seems sensitive to when people like to have her near them, and flies to certain clients and not to others.

Adolescents really enjoy having her, I've noticed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think its good to use animals for therapy. There are a few charities near us that are dedicated to doing just that. Not sure if birds are used but the likes of cats and dogs are a big hit, especially in elderly care homes.

I think a friendly cockateil would be great for therapy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is common to use cats and dogs for therapy in the UK (usually with a company called PAT - Pets As Therapy.)
Using a bird sounds a very interesting approach :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I think most cockatiels are too flighty and spook too easily to be common therapy birds..but there are exceptions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far, so good. My office is a very calm environment, and Sunshine mostly sleeps and preens as people talk. The only time she gets loud is if someone leaves - then she does her flock call :)

She will get nippy if people try to touch her when she's on me, but she readily accepts scritches and pets from people.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I can't imagine Sunny being a therapy bird. I mean, sometimes I feel I NEED therapy from having Sunny! :rofl:

I think it depends on what kind of therapy. Most birds are "too flightly and spook too easily" as bjknight93 puts it and probably won't let strangers pet them like dogs. Sunny will definitely not let strangers touch her, but she is very sociable and likes to be with people. When I bring friends home, she likes to pounce on them and climb all over them and "play" with them (meaning not as friends but as toys :D). Most of the time, my friends are quite amused because it would have been the first time in their lives that they had a little bird climb on them. Sometimes I would give my friends a Cheerio or sunflower seed to give to Sunny and she will take it. She has never bitten anyone. That could also be "therapeutic" for some people. In fact, we are friends with a couple who are friends of my dad, and the husband just ADORES Sunny to pieces. Every time they come over, all he cares about is Sunny and all he does is sit on the couch and play with Sunny. Sunny seems to know this, so she usually would just hang out on his knee, and I would give the friend some millet to feed Sunny with and the 2 of them would just have a great time. That to me is therapy. But people who want therapy from "Dr. Sunny" would have to come over to our place because a strange place will cause too much anxiety. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ive asked the same in a different thread. Of the few that replied, thay seem to think cockatiels would make great therapy pets. I am going to look into it very soon for myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts