Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cockatiel suddenly becomes both nervous and aggressive arround 8.00 pm.

He will climb up at his rope perch and move arround it very nervously and if i show him my finger he will try to bite very hard.

He does this for 2 days now and i usually put him to sleep at 8.30 pm.

Is it because he's tired and he knows when i will cover his cage? Or is it because he is scared from something? ( I had tried to make him to step up on a small perch but that freaked him out a lot 4 days ago)

And he's untamed and i have him for 25 days. He's comfortable around me and if i sit down and read him something he climbs down on his own and stays right next to me in his cage, also takes millet from my hand but only if i hold it. If i open my hand he most of the times is scared and leaves or he doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My boy starts to be a bit nervous when the sun goes down. They have a natural clock in them, so maybe he just wants to go to bed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is his rope perch where he goes to sleep at night?
My cockatiel also gets aggressive late at night and like littletiel said, it's usually a sign to cover them up for bed. We all get grumpy and irritable when we're tired and it's the same for cockatiels. Don't take it personally, they don't mean it :)

My cockatiel has starting biting whenever she wants attention. I guess it's phase they all go through when they're young but give them a firm "No" and put him back in his cage when he bites and leave him alone for a bit. He'll soon learn.

Cockatiels can take a while to tame, it depends on bird-to-bird but don't give up, persistence is they key. Do regular training/taming sessions in short bursts but often. Encourage with food or their favourite toy. It seems you're going the right way about it, just keep it up :)

All the best,

-Foobzy and Kiki-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts