Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Cockatiel age?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Cassandra Leigh 
#1 ·
Hello!
This is Toby. I adopted him about 2 weeks ago. I got him from a breeder who couldn't sell him because the breeder claims he had an injured wing due to some flight feathers being pulled out by another bird during a fight. Ive been careful to make sure the birb is in a good, quiet area of the home. He was startled on day 2 and had some bleeding because he thrashed into the cage wall and his wound must have opened up.
This would be my first cockatiel ever but I have 4 budgies, all from pet store, and all tamed by myself. I wanted to fulfill my life long dream of owning a cockatiel and that's when I found Toby. I wanted a young birb who was hand fed so it'd be easier to tame (again, my first cockatiel).
I was informed by the breeder that Toby is 4 months old and hand fed. Having never owned cockatiels before, I had no idea. After doing some research, I've started to doubt that he is 4 months old... he's also TERRIFIED of hands, even moreso than any of my budgies when they were purchased wild from the pet store.

Any insight on his age would be fantastic.

Thank you so much 💓 sorry for rambling.
Cockatiel Bird Cockatoo Parrot Beak

P.S. he's also got this bald spot on the back of his head and I was wondering if it'd grow in?? The breeder says it should after his first full molt and im not sure when that is supposed to happen. 🙈
Rope Feather Tail Felidae Wing

See less See more
#2 ·
He is definitely not 4 months old. Cockatiels go through their first molt between 6 to 12 months old, and that is when their bright yellow faces come in. I wouldn't know the exact age, but I would say he is over 1 year old. As for the bald spot, do you know what caused it?

#3 ·
Hi! Thanks for replying! I also thought for sure he was not a baby and definitely not 4 months old. Kind of disappointed to have been lied to. Especially because he bred him himself :confused: I love him to death and will continue to try taming him.

As for the bald spot, I'm not sure how it happened. I noticed it a bit when I went to bring him home but it was a bit dim in the store and when I inquired about it, he claimed it was because the bird was young and the new fathers are growing in and "spread apart" and that it should fill in after his first full molt. 😟

#4 ·
Yeah, that does sound kind of fishy. Especially since you said he said the cockatiel was handfed as well. I've gotten birds from breeders that say they're handfed, and they are which makes me think this person just wanted to get rid of the bird so they just said what sounded nice. For the bald spot, his first full molt will already have happened since he has his bright yellow face already. You said his flight feathers were pulled out by another bird during a fight? I think that bird must have pulled out the feathers on the back of the head as well, then. I would probably check with a vet though just to make sure he is fine. I wish you the best of luck in taming him. Hopefully, everything goes well!! 😊

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.