Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my cockatiel Aries since 2008 and he is very attached to me,he follows me around and even now still comes to me everyday and will lay on my bed or on my shoulder. His room mate Jupiter (a budgie) passed away of old age last year in November and he has been living with him since he was only a few months old. I got a new bird in January (a baby green cheek who came from the same place I got Aries) and he has been acting strangely ever since.

Aries still comes to me, wants attention, but acts more assertive. He started this obsession with messing with my nose, if I don't let him touch it he will do this thing where he will rapidly make quiet hissing noises and whine while lightly pecking me repeatedly until I give in. The pecks do not hurt, but they're so rapid and he is flailing his head as if he is distressed. I thought maybe he doesn't like the other bird, but I catch them preening each other so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any advice on this strange behavior?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Since no one else answered...

I don't feel entirely confident on this issue, but since no one else answered I figured I'd give it my best shot. Just bear in mind that this is just a pure guess in my case (I hadn't answered it before now because I didn't feel confident about it).

It seems to me, since your bird is acting more assertive, that it might be trying to kind of claim you over the other bird. I know that some birds can be territorial with other birds over their cages and even over perches, so maybe it's possible that your bird is feeling territorial over you? Will Aries still be friendly to the green cheek while they are both sitting with you?

Other than that I'm not entirely certain, the nose thing is particularly odd...It's possible that he figures the nose is a new toy, a new fun thing, and is getting frustrated if not allowed to play with it. Kirby sometimes does the same with us over our teeth; if he's playing with our teeth and we stop him he'll repeatedly peck our lips. We don't like to let him play with our teeth b/c human saliva can be toxic to birds, but occasionally if he's on our shoulders when we laugh, smile, or talk, next thing you know you've got a bird's head in your mouth... :wacko:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't feel entirely confident on this issue, but since no one else answered I figured I'd give it my best shot. Just bear in mind that this is just a pure guess in my case (I hadn't answered it before now because I didn't feel confident about it).

It seems to me, since your bird is acting more assertive, that it might be trying to kind of claim you over the other bird. I know that some birds can be territorial with other birds over their cages and even over perches, so maybe it's possible that your bird is feeling territorial over you? Will Aries still be friendly to the green cheek while they are both sitting with you?

Other than that I'm not entirely certain, the nose thing is particularly odd...It's possible that he figures the nose is a new toy, a new fun thing, and is getting frustrated if not allowed to play with it. Kirby sometimes does the same with us over our teeth; if he's playing with our teeth and we stop him he'll repeatedly peck our lips. We don't like to let him play with our teeth b/c human saliva can be toxic to birds, but occasionally if he's on our shoulders when we laugh, smile, or talk, next thing you know you've got a bird's head in your mouth... :wacko:
He will, it's almost like they ignore each other when were all together but will still sit pretty close. I've never had an instance where they broke out in a fight while having both of them on me. I guess im just puzzled on what to do right now

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, that is odd. I wish I could help you out more. The only thing that I can suggest is to not allow him to play with your nose because he might be getting aggressive over that. Maybe if you don't allow him to do it, he'll start acting normal again?

I'm really sorry; like I said before I only answered this post because nobody else did and I know it drives me nuts when nobody answers my posts, so I always try to answer unanswered threads if I can. Maybe somebody else will see this and give their thoughts...

If not, you could always private message a more experienced member. Try one of the admins or moderators.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts