Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past two days, my little bud has been pretty grouchy. He'll still voluntarily step up but not as much as he used to. For one instance that he did, he ran up to my shoulder to attack my face! They weren't painful bites, but the same nibbles he gives me when I've been in his space for too long. Spring is starting up in my neck of the woods, if that potentially has anything to do with it. I've been putting him to bed earlier and for longer than normal since last night to hopefully quell his mood swings. I haven't done anything, as far as I know, to cause this sudden behavioral shift.

Really the only proof I have that it's potentially hormones is his sudden moody behavior. He's not demonstrating any strange courting behaviors aside from running in circles on the top of his cage doing his warble chirps, but he's been doing those for a while.

If there's anything else I can do or any other theories as to why he's acting a bit strange, it would be appreciated!

·
Registered
45 Posts
First of all, how old is he? From what your saying, it sounds like normal hormones kicking in. I have a male normal grey that's almost 2 years old. One day he's the sweetest thing in the world and the next day he's a cranky as ****! When he's in this mood he's also very cranky when it comes to bed time! I've been bitten WAY more than once but the truth of the matter is: you just can't let them have there way all the time

·
Registered
56 Posts
Help please

Today I found an egg in my cockatile's cage ......I made a pouch like thingy in her cage and she had laid an egg in it and she was so aggressive about it. (I didn't introduce her to a male so the egg is supposed to be infrertile)....she hisses and tries to attack if I put my hand in her cage....is this normal...later she came out and I immediately disposed the egg and removed the pouch from the cage.....is that ok?.......and after sometime she went back in and started searching her pouch so I 're installed it back in......I dunno what to do....will she lay more eggs?......is it ok to keep the pouch inside or should I remove it.....she seems to like the pouch...

I've attached a few images of the pouch (don't mind the untidyness and the clips :p :p).

Cage Animal shelter Net Mesh Zoo

Plant

I need help and advice about the pouch and the egg laying.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
You should remove the pouch before she lays more eggs. Any type of tents, huts, beds, etc. are seen as nests to birds. Female cockatiels are prone to chronic egg laying and you don’t want to encourage nesting behavior.

And yes, it is normal for them to get aggressive while defending their eggs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.