Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how long the first molt takes. Spike is a WF Cockateil and his face is still got some grey spots he actually looks quite strange right now because he looks like he has pokadots almost on his face. He was Hatched on Oct 23. 2007 just wondering how much longer he will take for his face to be completely white

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
He may not lose all his immature feathering with his first molt. You may have to wait for his second before he is all man.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Lirl, before he is a man. :p

I know Mushu lost most of his baby pearly feathers on his first molt. May just depend. :)

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I have a Whiteface Pearl who is still sporting several white spots on his back and wings. He's just a big baby!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
if i remember right, 1st molt is at 6 months then they molt again at a year

I have a pearl pied male that came to me at 9 months old and had tons of pearls ( I was honestly starting to think he was a girl), but then he hit a year old in July now he barley has any pearls at all and now I can tell him and his mate apart much better (she's also a pearl pied) before if i was seeing the back view I didn't know who was who they looked identical from the back but the front my male has a dark grey feather going through his crest (the female doesn't) we said it looks like some one gave his crest a Highlight job :p, and his belly patches are different then hers
and now his back is finally different so now I can tell them apart from all angles :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My pearl male still has tons of pearling not just on his back but his tummy in grey and yellow moteled he was very heavly pearled as a baby and had tons and tons of yellow he was very cute now he has molted and he is still very pearled and still has a yellow patch with pearling on his back also allot still on his wings he is deffinatly a boy but I think he's going to retain some of his pearl markings because he still has allot after his first molt. I just got him but have been visiting him in the petfood store for months now. They get their cocateils from the breeder right after they wean so I know he is at least 8 or 9 months old.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
That's possible! It's not common but it does happen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My George was born in January 2008, he's currently molting and his face has become mostly white now.
I guess they mature at different times? :confused:

·
Registered
670 Posts
jojo's feathers on his head feel ruff the rest of him is smooth i thik he is about 3 months old now ? and is allmost compleatly grey

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok well I guess I 'll have to wait a a couple moe months for Spike to get his total WF He Just looks so strange right now with spots on his face.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts