Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I used to have a hand fed cockateil he used to eat from the syringe for about 2 months after he was born and we used to keep him in front of millets and other food for him to eat he eventually ate them and switched to eating regular cockateil food
Now I got another baby cockateil(lutino) got him in Dec when he was just 1 month old. When we got him itself he used to make crow like crying voice for us to feed him now he is 3 moths old. We keep him in front of regular cockateil food he eats them but everyday (morning noon night) he comes sits on our head and starts to make the crow like sound till he gets the food
So please can anyone help should we keep feeding him baby food or let him try to eat on his own
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I'll go back to giving her the parakeets' seed. I had mixed in a cockatiel mix and she was doing good on it. So, I switched her completely to cockatiel. Does it truly matter if they are on a budgie mix or cockatiel one? (I can't get my budgies to eat pellets yet either, I mix an even smaller amount in with their seed than the lovebird, because she'll at least look at the pellets, they'll starve before they touch it.) All of them get the bird bread, which I load with veggies, some fruit, whole wheat flour, oats, usually a couple of baby food dinners for protien, organic 100% juice for the liquid, the whole egg blended so the shell is crushed, honey, and anything else I can think of that is healthy in my pantry to put in it. The budgies devour it.) And I mix up a batch of different veggies every week, along with their favorites so they'll at approach it, and freeze that, and they all get that.

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

·
Registered
200 Posts
Cockatiel seed mixes usually have safflower and sunflower seeds, high fat, and not recommended to any birds. My cockatiels eat parakeet seed mixes , along with roudybush pellets and vegetables and sprouts. All parrots should be eating veges or sprouts daily as well. If a bird is crying for food/formula, you can try a warm cooked vege mash with quinoa. Remember to weigh your bird daily, especially if they cry for food. If they lose weight offer formula , some young birds regress and need formula longer then others.

Birdie bread is a good treat , but if u can, offer raw/cooked veges if they will eat it. I wouldn’t add honey , high in sugar, shouldn’t be fed daily, and shouldn’t be given to birds raw. It must be pasteurized to prevent bacteria.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts