Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi bits been a long time since I was on here. I have 2 tiels Mica and Kona. They had their second clutch of 2 chicks about 2 weeks ago. I'm keeping both babies, two little WF Grey babies. I want to co parent them and so far that consists of me holding and talking to them for about 30 minutes a day. Would love to hear about others experiences with this process if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The idea of co-parenting is that you are feeding them along with the parents. Usually it's two feeds a day, one first thing in the morning and one a night before bed. It's hard to do with older chicks but always worth a shot. I attempted it with one clutch but they fought me really hard so I backed off and went back to just handling them and playing with them.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roxy. I did what you attempted with their first clutch because momma was plucking the babies. They didn't take to me hand feeding at all. One did ok, but the other fought me. I hated it and was scared I was going to hurt them somehow. So this time I'm just doing the handling part and letting the parents do all the feeding. Right now my oldest at 18 days is 84 grams. Little chubbies
anyway, I hope I can make the tame and bond with me doing it this way. Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As long as you handle them like you are, they will be fine.

When I would hand feed I would make up the food and then put it on the edge of a spoon and hold it up above them and they would go crazy. This assured that I would not give them too much at a time and it really stepped up the bonding with me. Maybe you can try a spoon and see how they take to it. A baby spoon is best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts