Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some of you have read in previous posts, Spider refuses ( REFUSES) to learn how to hand feed and rather than watch him waste away, I've plunked him back with his mom and dad. Which brings me to a new dilemma.

Co parenting.

I suck at co parenting. My babies always end up wild and I've tried a few times. I want to make sure I do it right with Spider. How do you guys do it properly? I don't think I handle the babies enough. I'd love to hear people's experiences, especially on how long you have the babies out.

And for cuteness sake, I've included photographs :)

Spider sleeping in the brooder. What a weirdo.

Spider napping by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

And the three chicks in the brooder, although not with their cuddle toy (They have this cute mini dog Abby loves cuddling with):

IMG_2917 by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
When we co-parented there were two of us doing it. So hubby would have the babies out too. A lot of the time we had all the birds out, including the parents. We just spent what time we could with them. The hardest part I found was catching the babies with an empty crop.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we co-parented there were two of us doing it. So hubby would have the babies out too. A lot of the time we had all the birds out, including the parents. We just spent what time we could with them. The hardest part I found was catching the babies with an empty crop.
Thanks! :D So it's just a matter of handling them more often than I have. I've been pulling Spider out for handling 20 minutes before the others are pulled for hand feeding and I just cuddle him. Do that a few times a day and hopefully I'll have a good result :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I read somewhere a good way to Co parent is to handle them 15 minutes at a time 4-5 times a day

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I am raising a clutch of 5 right now. When I decided to pull them for handfeeding the youngest was still not feathered and a bit behind her siblings. I left her in the nest for Mom and Dad to continue feeding but would pull her out at feeding time to see if she wanted a mouthful or 2 also. Then after feeding her and whoever ate the least at the feeding (I weigh before and after each feed) went back into the nest for Mom and Dad and the other 3 went into my brooder. Everyone got handled. At night everyone went back into the nest with Mom and Dad. The bubs are now about 6 weeks old and in the weaning cage, still being handfed and eating small amounts of fresh foods, finch pellets, hemp hearts and chia seeds as well as spray millet. They are tame as tame can be, flying well landing not so well...lol

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your input :D ! Spider is thriving under his parents' care and he's enjoying the cuddling. I take the time to preen his pin feathers, which either he doesn't mind or hates, depending on where I preen him. Tail feathers are right out when it comes to touching, but he's got to get used to it :)

Now if only the dog would stop prancing in front of the cage where he's sitting... :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts