Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stayed up too late reading about cockatiel health issues.

Can you guys look at these pictures and tell me what you think?

He only grooms when he is out and feels comfortable and in the shower. So nothing excessive. He is super clumsy so he always disturbs his feathers so idk if it's from that. Or bite marks from preening? Or mites which I hope he doesn't have.

If it's mites what should I do? I have a 20lb dog too

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was from a few days ago, but is now looking better. He did have the tube stuck on his top tail feather. It was where you see the two lines from where it was stuck. But I'm not worried about these slits, he does mess his feathers up when he crashes so that's why I'm not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
The first picture does look like it could be some sort of bug. But in the other pictures it looks like stress bars (gaps in the feathers).

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Those look like normal feathers to me. Sometimes if a blood feather gets mildly bumped while it's growing in, it will develop with imperfections like that first pic but not die/fall out entirely like a broken one. My rescue girl who came to me with some pretty severe motor impairments has had many feathers that look like that from bumping into things. I wouldn't worry about mites unless you see behavioral symptoms like excessive itching/crying.

P.S. Be careful about too much reading -- you'll make yourself nuts, and being too aggressive with healthcare can actually be bad for our birds. (I'm saying this from experience.)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just my opinion but it looks like a normal tail to me. Birds in cages often have tails that look a little worn, my Milo has broken and tattered tail feathers right now. I wouldn't worry about it. Is he showing signs of itching or scratching a lot or overpreening his feathers?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Mites are not common in birds kept in doors. They're not that easy to attract. Those all look like normal feathers to me. Definitely don't stress yourself out needlessly. ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief thank you everyone! I'm so gonna be the mom rushing her kid to the hospital over a runny nose if I have kids. I was so scared there that he could have mites.

I'm super careful about washing my hands after touching things outside in fear of bringing outside bird problems inside to Cosmo. We took the dog kayaking and I had my boyfriend carry the dog and not touch the dock that had geese and seagull poop all over. I was scared he could bring something icky home to Cosmo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts