Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I got my 'tiel about a year ago from a friend who was getting rid of him. He was very attached to her so the transition wasn't easy for him. Essentially, he tolerates me picking him up, feeding him by hand, and sitting on my shoulder. He doesn't like it when I put my hand too close to him and he's usually a little poky. However, these past few days he's been extra clingy. Sitting with me always, giving kisses, and mashing his face into mine. He doesn't want me to pet him, at least not with my hand but I can touch with my head/ear. He's sitting on my shoulder right now with his eyes closed. Does this mean that he's warming up to me or is he not feeling well?

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
I think he's warming up to you. Cockatiels instinctively want to belong to a flock, because a bird in a flock is safer from predators than a bird that is alone. When there are no other birds in the house, a cockatiel will form a flock bond with the humans in the house. Your bird has decided that you are trustworthy enough to be his flockmate!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think he's warming up to you. Cockatiels instinctively want to belong to a flock, because a bird in a flock is safer from predators than a bird that is alone. When there are no other birds in the house, a cockatiel will form a flock bond with the humans in the house. Your bird has decided that you are trustworthy enough to be his flockmate!
Thanks, I was worried he was sick or something. Phew!!

·
Banned
56 Posts
Definitely sounds like he's warming to you. My boy was totally untame when I got him & to make matters worse, they said he was a female! I told him on his first day here that at some point, whether he liked it or not, he'd be sat on my shoulder & I'd smother him in kisses, as I do with my girl. 3 days ago, he started coming to my chest and shoulder when I called him, and yesterday, I fulfilled my promise to him.
Parrot Cockatiel Bird Beak Parakeet
Bird Parrot Cockatiel Cockatoo Parakeet
Bird Vertebrate Parrot Cockatiel Parakeet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.