Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can’t begin to tell you how much my husband and I love our little Cheekie. We had him flown to us from Iowa when he was 5 weeks old. I took him out of his travel cage on the way home fro the airport and he just snuggled under my chin.
He is now 6 months old. He rides around on us all day. He doesn’t think he should be in a cage ever. When he is on his playground he cries when we go out of sight. When we leave him for an hour or two he chirps wildly when he hears us go out of the door. Should we insist on more cage time?
We are having him boarded for a week while we go away. I’m sure that he won’t be given the attention that we give him. Will he be ok?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

Cheekie sounds like such a sweetheart and is obviously very bonded to you and sees you as part of his flock, my boy Coco is much the same. What you can do is give him a "time out" in his cage every day and gradually increase the time he is in the cage to slowly get him accustomed to it. Perhaps partly cover the cage to reduce his stress. While he's in his cage, give him plenty of treats and toys he can shred and chew to get him to associate the cage with a reward. He may ignore these as first but once he gets used to it he won't be so stressed when you have him boarded. I'm sure he will be looked after well and will be so excited to see you when you get back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your response. We are trying your suggestions for increasing cage time. Thanks also for helping us to feel better about boarding Cheekie. Your Flufflebutts is a regal, beautiful cockatiel. I am enjoying the forum. (We can’t believe how head over heels we have fallen for this little guy)
Egg

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
You're welcome. It will be hard for both you and him and it might take a while but the more you do it and once it starts evolving into a routine, the less stressed he will feel in his cage. It's important to get them used to it for all sorts of things (such as boarding) but also emergency vet visits and whatever else you may need to get him in the cage for.

'Tiels are such loveable little companions and yes they steal our hearts! I would love to see a picture of your Cheekie. :blush:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.