Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Do you guys clean the nest box out or not?
I have 2 babies and the parents in there, the parents seem to be pooping in the nest sometimes too :/
Do I risk the parents leaving the babies if I do remove them to clean it...
Advice please?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I never did. At least not until the babies were leaving the nest box on their own. It helps to build up immunities if you leave it the way it is. If you're having an issue smell-wise you can always sprinkle some more bedding on top.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yeah I don't either. My hens tend to make little nests/ditches in the bedding and I try not to mess with that if I can help it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I handled my babies everyday from hatch anyhow so I cleaned my nest box at that time, scooping out the mounds of poop and soiled bedding and adding fresh stuff. My parents are quit tame tho.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I clean my boxes as needed. But I handle my babies from day one to take weight and notes and track their health and make sure they are on track. I scoop the box as needed. Different clutches need cleaning different amounts. Some every day. Others every second day. . But that being said. My parent birds are very used to me. Even my less tame birds are handleable and friendly. I spend a lot of time with them every day. They just move or hop out of the box when I'm cleaning and go right back in when I'm done. No issue.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If your setup is indoors there is a chance the box will attract bugs. In that case, I would clean it occasionally.

If outdoors, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you're not attracting mites and parasites anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dirty nest boxes are bad for babies. They can get sick from bacteria and mould growing in a dirty box. Outside or inside. Cleaning is part of breeding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not trying to sound bad. I hope no one takes it that way....anyone else who has a different view is entitled to do or think as they choose as am I. not putting down other people's views or habits.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
if it gets really disgusting, I'll chase mom and dad out of the box and layer some more bedding on top. I check boxes frequently, so they're used to the disturbances. Luckily I don't have to clean boxes often. Maybe once or twice a week if I'm paranoid :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Dirty nest boxes are bad for babies. They can get sick from bacteria and mold growing in a dirty box. Outside or inside. Cleaning is part of breeding.
Not really. Depending on how dirty it is, it actually helps the babies develop immunities. I cleaned my boxes as little as possible, because of this. It just usually depends on the breeders preference, seeing as how the birds don't clean their "nests" in the wild.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I prefer to clean mine every day... I just lock mom and dad out when. They are eating and remove babies into a warmed container, then I use a putty knife to scrape the poop off the walls of the box (babies tend to poop against the sides) and scoop it out and replace with fresh bedding.. Once every few days I remove and replace it all. My birds are in a small bedroom and it can get funky fast in there if not kept clean.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mine only ever seem to have small clutches (3 live chicks maximum) and the parents always come out of the box to take their ginormous morning dump, so I only clean out the boxes if the chicks are really making a mess in there.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I'm glad I rediscovered this thread! Saves me from asking the same question. I'm being paranoid and wanted to know if I should clean the nest box. Question answered! LOL!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Oh, cool! Where do you get them?

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Wild cockatiels don't clean an occupied nestbox, although they may throw out accumulated trash when they're getting read to breed. It's natural and normal for the babies to grow up surrounded by their own droppings. You have to clean it if there's something that doesn't belong in there, like mold or insects. But otherwise it's purely a matter of personal choice. It doesn't do any harm if you clean it, and it doesn't do any harm if you don't.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I believe those are what they use for nest boxes in countries like India, Pakistan, etc.
OooooOOOOooooooooohhhhhhh! Thanks for telling me! They look really interesting :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts