Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad is cinnamon pied. Mom is lutino. Neither show a pastel face or lighter check patches than they should. But some of the chicks have very pale cheek patches. Are they pastel face?

All the chicks except one were cinnamon. 1 was normal, pied. So that also means mom is not cinnamon, and all chicks are girls except normal pied?
(sorry for messy face on little one, we just had breakfast)
http://s431.photobucket.com/user/darkfarce1/media/pastelface_zps9dbbhakr.jpg.html

I'm having a issue getting the photo to show. Sorry but that's the direct link.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
One of the chicks certainly does have a light cheek, and the cheek color of the other one looks kind of odd too although it doesn't look pale.

If at least one parent is split to pastel face and the other is split to pastelface or whiteface, you could get pastelface babies from this pair. PF and WF work together, as explained at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-allelic.html

The yellow coloring on the chick with the pale cheek looks pretty intense though. On a pastelface bird it should look kind of washed out and pale, because the PF gene reduces the intensity of both the yellow and the orange. If the yellow is really that bright then it might be yellow cheek, which reduces the orange and leaves the yellow alone. There are two yellow cheek mutations, one dominant and one sex-linked. If the father is split to SLYC you could get yellow cheek daughters out of him. If it was dominant yellow cheek he would be visual for the mutation himself, so we can probably rule that one out.

It would be helpful to join the Facebook page for the American Cockatiel Society and/or the National Cockatiel Society and ask about it there. These groups have a lot of show breeders who specialize in the rare mutations, so they might be able to make a positive identification. But even they can have trouble telling the difference between PF and YC, so you might just get conflicting information.

Since dad is cinnamon and mom is not, all the girls will be cinnamon and all the boys will be something else. Sexing made easy, unless dad happens to be split lutino. In that case you could get lutino chicks of both sexes.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'm with tielfan. The one baby does appear to have a very pastel colored cheekpatch, but the other seems more yellow than anything else. Certain mutations can cause an orange wash to the yellow cheek too, which could account for the more pastel looking baby. And if dad is a split, it would explain why not all the babies inherited it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I double checked the cheeks on the parents, they are definitely visually orange. Mom(s) are sisters. They sit in the same nest box and share the male. I think these chicks are from only one hen though since I did remove the 2nd clutch of younger eggs from the box.

I looked around and did some reading and I think this could be the sex linked yellow cheek. I had already planned on keeping some girl chicks out of the pair(s), but it looks like I might just keep them all but the one female who's already been promised.
Dad

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
It's reported that SLYC hens are usually terrible mothers. So if you want to breed these girls, it would be helpful to have foster parents available in case the real parents don't do their job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that tip! I have several older pair who do not lay their own eggs but will sit in nest boxes and will happily take a egg I put under them and raise it. I normally do this if I have a large clutch, but I could also do it if the slyc proves to be a bad mom. I also have a younger pair who lay small clutches and they will surrogate chicks as well.

The two girls with SLYC are getting more and more beautiful. The little one I'm handfeeding to give as a pet, her orange seems to be fading and her head is nearly solid grey now with yellow showing around the edges. Her cheek color is pale grey yellow and blending well to her facial color. I get to see her soon to be new family tonight and I can't wait to tell them what a unique little girl they are getting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts