Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've done so many searches about Christmas lights and what effect they have on Cockatiels, but all I keep finding is about night lights instead.
I have a vast array of lights that flash and want to put some up this year as a happy thing to see, rather than it all be about the Corona virus still.
Has ANYONE on here ever had Christmas lights up around or near their birds and if so, was there any kind of detrimental effect on the birds ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My bird has night frights from flashing light but this could be unique to him. Do your birds sleep where they will be able to see the lights? I shut mine in a room where no light can reach them at night and they're fine. It's also possible that a night light may help or any constant light can give them a feeling of security if they can see what's happening. That being said if it's too bright they will not go to sleep and will be grumpy and tired. Hope that helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying :)
There are no lights on, so they're in total darkness during their sleep and the Christmas lights wouldn't be on during that time anyway. Because they have the freedom to fly around my home, they would be able to see the lights in the kitchen, hallway, bedroom etc...., but I wouldn't put them up in the living room, as that's where the birds are for most of the day. I just wondered if anyone had any problems with the lights and their birds.

I also have two strip lights that are on during the time the birds are awake, which are specifically to give them the UV rays that help with health etc... Once they goto bed, I turn them off until they wake up the next morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts