Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been wanting to get our current girl a friend for a while, but we have concerns.

Gracie has a history of being hormonal. She's been egg-bound before and for this reason, personally, I would be more comfortable owning males from here on out. However, I'm a little worried about a male especially pushing her to lay eggs again even if they don't share cages and just live nearby.

That said, Gracie was totally convinced my mother was her mate. This was, obviously, a female human, so clearly she isn't too picky. Or does that mean she's more interested in females as mates?

I want her to have the company of her own kind, but I don't want to put her at risk of getting in that position again. Knock on wood, though, she's been very good about it these past few months. This is part of why I think it's a good time.

If I do end up with a male (or even a female), should I keep them separated even if they do get along? Will that be enough? How will I know if they're stirring her up again?

Thanks.
:grey tiel:

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you get a second cockatiel, definitely get a female! The risk of a male encouraging egg laying and breeding is just too great. The vast majority of females do not have issues with excessive laying or egg-binding, though I certainly understand how scary the thought of it is.

As for cage sharing, leave it up to the birds. It's a tad annoying to set up a cage you might not use for very long, but it's best to set up the birds in separate cages and let them decide whether or not to move in together. If they do decide to do so, it can be helpful to do a major re-decorating of the cage so that one bird doesn't feel sole ownership of it. Also, it's important to quarantine a new bird initially to avoid the risk of spreading disease.

Two questions. First, why do you want to get a 2nd bird? Some birds are much happier solo. Is there a particular reason you think she needs an avian buddy? Second question, have you gotten good help/advice re the egg laying, etc.?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey there, thanks for the advice! <3

I want to get her a friend because at the end of the day, they are flock animals. She's very social and doesn't like to be left alone. Since she exhibits almost all the behaviors (including mating behaviors) typical of a male, I believe she used to live with one. I've always believed that if it was possible for an animal that is social by nature to have a friend...then by all means, they should have one. Even if they prefer to be caged alone, that's enough for me, I feel like the conversation would make her happier. I'd also just like another 'tiel, lol.

Yes, I have. :) She was adopted as a chronic layer so it was an ongoing battle for a while there. She stopped for years, wasn't too hormonal, and then got bound the first time laying again. The egg was tilted among some other things. She has not laid since. She is no longer excessively hormonal, but since it happened once by chance I'm very anxious about it.

I fell in love with a female I saw but couldn't bring her home just yet. I know we have to be 100% ready first. She was adorable, though! I wasn't sure if I'd ever want to commit to a female 'tiel again (though I adore mine) but she was a sweetheart. It helped me resolve this issue a little; when I'm ready for one, they'll probably choose me and not the other way around. Just like the first time. It always feels right that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like you have thought everything out well and I agree with you about providing avian company for my birds. I foster for a local rescue and my first cockatiel so very clearly wanted a cockatiel buddy and I tried to oblige. My second cockatiel turned out to be so people oriented that I ended up adopting a third who was known to very obviously prefer other birds over people!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts