Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chiclet keeps sitting in the food dish and making these tiny soft little noises. She allows Mojo to stand on her back. They weren't actually mating but I think its coming soon. I put Chiclet on top of the cage and left Mojo in the cage as she was trying to eat before Chiclet decided the food dish was better used for other things.

They are only 2 months old and both females. Obviously I am not worried about babies but I am worried about them laying eggs too young and dying as a result.

What should I do?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Wow!! I'm slightly amazed that they're already behaving like this so young. Must be something in the water. :p Spike's suggestion of reducing their light is worth a try, maybe try a different type of food dish too. It might stop the behaviour. The only other thing i can think of is do you stroke/pat their backs? This is particularly bad for putting female tiels in "the mood".

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
It's good that you noticed it. They are a bit young for it but hey, insticts kick in whenever! Reduce soft foods, food high in fat and protein (like seed, sugars and eggs), increase nighttime to 12+ hours, no back petting, change around all their toys. This will be something you'll have to do regular with girls. Baby seems to have calmed down alot since Ziggy came along but I still go by those rules.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I am not to surprised to hear that when I got Georgie at 10 weeks she would make these squeaky wheel noises anytime she went near Ian with her head down and her tail up and I was told by people she was to young for that and she was probably begging for food, of course at the time I wasn't to sure but I was pretty sure she wasn't begging for food...lol now that I know more I definetly know she was not begging him for food she was looking at him as her mate the others have good suggestions we applied some of them and she stopped doing it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had stopped covering them at night because I feel bad, like I am punishing them. I started covering them around 8pm and uncovering them around 9am.

I had just moved their stuff around.

They don't get soft food much, but they had been getting some broccoli.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I agree with Aly don't feel bad, to me its like when we get into bed and pull the covers over us snug and warm :D your just covering them up and tucking them into bed :p you could always cover them and leave one side open if it makes you feel more comfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts