Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two cockatiel chicks that were born May 8th and May 9th. They don't seem to be growing that much, very very slowly. They are fed by their mom who eats pellets with egg sprinkle on top, she doesn't like any fruits or vegetables and refuses to eat them. She is feeding the babies but we had to take them away from her because she was over feeding them and they almost died. They are very strong, the younger one is not a strong as the older one. They chirp a lot they are active. The older one is already insistent on trying to fly. We have a vet that we love and are in contact with about the babies and they suggested that we get some oxbow critical care formula to help feed them to get them more nutrients. We feed them some of that with every feeding that Pearl (mom) gives them. They still aren't really growing, I will attach pictures but does anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting to think that it's something in the parents genetics. You can tell the older baby from the younger one although they are only 12 hours apart
Bird Parrot Beak Finger Nail

Bird Beak Comb Phasianidae Chicken

Bird Hand Finger Safety glove Nail

Bird Hand Chicken Finger Beak

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
779 Posts
I think in the particular case I would rely on the vets advice. Keep in mind these babies are only 6 and 7 days old from the date you gave however, cockatiel babies tend to grow very fast! If they haven't feathered out more in the next few days, I would sure recommend a visit to the doc. Is this by chance an AVIAN vet?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts