Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My cockatiel chick is 8 days old now, and it's father has only just started to regurgitate. It's always been the mother feeding it, and until now, the crop has mostly been full.
This morning, I wake up to find that the father was feeding instead, and I thought that all was well. However, it's now almost noon, and I went to check on the chick, only to realise that it's crop is practically empty. I observed the father then 'feeding' for about 2 minutes, but the crop was still empty afterwards. The only possible explanation, is that the father is falsely feeding the poor chick, while the mother wanders about the cage, thinking that her baby is being fed. I need help, what do I do? I don't have any formula, and would have wait for it to be delivered. I am hoping that the mother will feed it, but she's scattering around the cage at the moment. The chick is chirping for food.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update: I went out for a walk, and when I returned, the chick wasn't chirping anymore. I checked the nest and the father was sheltering it. It's still moving around, but I didn't catch sight of its crop. I can only hope that it has been fed now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Check the baby's crop at la evening for example aroun 8:00 pm. If crop is full, that is ok. During the day, the crop may not be so full. The parent should pump lots of food into baby's crop at evening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts