Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I know said it before, that I Harness trained my bird. But now I got photos! I used much prior training and it all was worth it. Now Chicken has been trained for 2 week and wearing a Harness! It is the only Harness I suggest, the Aviator Harness and Leash. It is expensive at $35. I used the X-SMALL because the Pettie looked way to small for my girl. Fits like a glove! And I thought red was a perfect color for Chicken yellow body, hehe. It is escape proof, chew proof, and very light weight. When first bought its hard to understand the price. But once you use it you can see it is worth it!!

The leash is not long, which is nice, and it is made of some type of "Fine" elastic, where that if your bird fly's because, say something scared it; it does not yank your bird, it rather gently pulls it closer without hurting it in any way. I really love it and now Chicken enjoys her outside walks with me. And it is FL in the USA so it is very warm even right now at this time of year, lol.

When you first attempt putting on the harness, for the first week I put it on and took it out 3 times a day about 5 minutes or more. If your not persistent, than you 'tiel will be like, "THAT WILL NOT GO ON ME AGAIN". So with my prior training and persistence now I enjoy taking my bird outside! I have posted no you tubes videos yet of how I did this. but maybe one day I will. I already made a video of Preparation, Prior training, Preview, Getting on, Outside, and Getting off, snuggles and then playtime. Maybe one day I will post those videos. But for now Everyone post your thoughts!

~Skye

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
Way to go!! Good for you Chicken!

J

·
0 Posts
That's amazing!.... I could never get the harness to work out as the hole around the neck is so tiny I couldn't it his neck through... but my tiel often wears the diapered flight suit that velcros around his back and it is great. It enables me to bring him everywhere I go without having to worry about getting popped on. :eek:

Have you ever tried those flightsuits shown in my avatar?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Well done! Chicken is gorgeous :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
YAY! That is so cool! I would LOVE to harness train Zoe. I'm pretty sure she'd plot my death if I tried though. Oh well, we're all gonna die someday right? I'll order a cockatiel sized harness when I order one for my eclectus next week.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments! I see you all share the excitement I had in accomplishing that, lol! Sometime I will post videos. Is there a way to post about 2 minute videos on this forum?

~Skye

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have had one of those Aviators for Oscar for over 2 years. I took him to the pub, outside while gardening. We even took him in the car to the other side of the country rather than have him in his cage all that time and he just sat on my shoulder there and back. He does get grumpy if it's not on right, twisted, upside down etc.

http://talkcockatiels.com/showpost.php?p=1160322&postcount=12

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm i never seen it look like that on in that picture.. Which way is it on in that picture, lol? It is the most fun to take my baby with me everywhere!

~Skye

1 - 13 of 13 Posts