Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i advised my uncle not to let his tiels double clutch but he did anyway so the oldest one is 1 week old he called my with a concern he took a picture of the chick i noticed 2 bad things one the crop is way to full and 2 the crop has a hole in it i called my breeder told her what i saw then i sent her the pic she sugested my uncle get his emergency brooder kit out so i went over we set it up on the advise of my breeder i told him not to feed the chick we went to prayer meeting we even prayed for the chick he sent me another pic this morning looks alot better i went over the hole in the crop has scarred over i was just talking to my uncle he just fed the chick and up to now it is still doing ok here is the pics of the chick lastnight and the second pic is this morning

Attachments

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
ow wow, I hope the baby makes it

kinda off topic, but have you ever noticed you can see their lil intestines?

the 1st time I noticed that i could see them was when my b/f was out of town for the weekend, and I was banding a couple of my baby budgies - and I noticed it moving when it moved - kinda grossed me out - but they all looked like that so i knew it was normal

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the chic is doing good i went over and the crop was empty so i gave my uncle a lesson in proper hand feeding

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Poor little chick :( I hope he makes it. It only took one day for the hole to close, that was fast. I would keep an eye out for infection. I would also call an avian vet to see what they say even though he is doing well right now.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Is your uncle keeping the baby in the brooder now? I was wondering if the baby's crop had slowed down digesting. When they are that young they need to be warmer than older chicks that have begun to feather. Are there older ones too?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Ugh. I feel for this chick, I hope it makes it through this all.

If he/she is strong it'll fight it, but hope that happens soon though!

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok just to update you all i was watching my uncle try and feed it and his hands were just shaking so we came to an agreement for the welfare of the chick it is home with me and is at 4 hours feedings a 2 cc the crop does empty all the way wich means no left over food at all wich is good eyes are open and the crown pin feathers are just starting to come out

·
Registered
340 Posts
Im really happy for you things are looking up im sure we will all be keeping our fingers crossed and hope things turn out ok

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the chick is up to 2 cc from 1.5 cc when i go to feed it it opens it mouth right up

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Sounds like you are doing all the right things and the chicks are thriving! How lucky for them and your uncle that you were there to help.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my uncle said he is not going to breed this pair again first clutch dad was a plucker second time this

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok weighed the chick today and mirac0le is 45.52 grams so she is right on track acording to weight wise

1 - 16 of 16 Posts