Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Chick eating it’s poop

791 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Angel80 
#1 ·
Hi my chicks are around 4 weeks old now and look happy and healthy but one seems to be pooping out seeds mum or dad has fed them and then eating them. What do I do?

#4 ·
Yes, it’s possible for chickens to get sick from eating poop.
While eating poop actually has some upsides as I explained above, it can also transfer harmful bacteria within your flock.
According to the Illinois fact sheet regarding potential dangers of poultry poop, chicken poop can contain a number of bacteria that could be harmful to other chickens, and us.
Salmonella, Campylobacter, and avian influenza viruses are the main culprits. All of which can cause some serious health issues to your flock.
What about cockatiels?

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, it’s possible for chickens to get sick from eating poop.
While eating poop actually has some upsides as I explained above, it can also transfer harmful bacteria within your flock.
According to the Illinois fact sheet regarding potential dangers of poultry poop, chicken poop can contain a number of bacteria that could be harmful to other chickens, and us.
Salmonella, Campylobacter, and avian influenza viruses are the main culprits. All of which can cause some serious health issues to your flock.

#10 ·
A chicken may begin eating their eggs if their calcium levels are low. Calcium deficiency causes a chicken to seek out a supplemental diet of egg shell. Chickens may also eat their eggs due to accidental discovery. If a chicken coop is crowded, a chicken can very easily break an egg.
Hi thanks for the info. I did sprinkle some Nutrobal on their food but I think it may have been something to do with their weaning. The chicks started weaning on their own by watching mum & dad who are seed addicts ( naughty I know ) and they may have started a little early as they started pooping out seeds and that’s what they were eating, seed poop! It’s all stopped now are they’re doing really well 😊

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.